Monday, July 03, 2006

On July 1 and 2nd I visited the cradle of Chinese Civilization, the Jinan/Shandong Province area, including the Yellow River, the birthplace of Confucius, area of 1000 buddhas, site of the Japanese and German occupation of China from 1900 to the 1940's.
The children at the elementary and high schools we visited were so enthusiastic about learning, not just about the United States, but also learning so that they could build a stronger China for the future.
A little boy- maybe about 6 years old or so - I talked with told me his American name was "Richard" - I told him that was my dad's name and that my father left Guongzhou area of China when he was a baby and really never returned. The boy gave me a little cat made of playdough. Today's China is a different world from the one my father left in 1919 or so, during the era of 'gunboat diplomacy' and foreign domination.
The elementary school had a large picture of leftist intelectual Lu Hsun, in addition to other Chinese heroes. The sense of people's history is amazing here. Talking to high school students and teachers too, you can understand the pride they feel, but also the responsibility to build China for the future. The 2008 beijing olympics icons - 4 little panda bears - are all over the cities we visited.
I have really enjoyed the company too of the Jinan, Shandong and Beijing education leaders we have been hanging out with as well.

It is 6:30 in the morning and I am now in Shanhai - we arrived late last night. It is very hot and humid. I hope to see more of this incredibly modern city today before flying back to SF.

No comments: