Monday, July 03, 2006

The food has been almost as much of an adventure as the trip to China itself.
I am proud to admit that I finally ate foods like fried silkworms, little snails, and a whole sea cucumber in a strange soup. We also had Manchu type food, Jinan/Shandong cuisine as well. But i was releaved to have good ole Chow Fun and Jook [rice porridge] this morning for breakfast in Shanghai.
The Bay-ju [whisky or tequilla-like liquor] and the wine have been wonderful, but the culture of toasting at banquets over and over and over again has left me a little hung over most mornings.
The McDonalds and KFC's and Starbucks are troubling, but I am dying for a big mac, but have been able to restrain myself... so far.
Babies -
I am taking a million pictures too [too bad i can't post them here] - my favorite visuals are the grandma's or dads with their babies in little diaper pants that have an opening in the back that shows their little butts.
Outdoor community life -
I also enjoy the community life here, the people hanging out at night on the streets, playing mah-jong under the freeway, or eating on the sidewalks, or in Jinan's beautiful Spring Square - all the ballroom dancer groups, roller bladers, lovers, traditional chinese music jam sessions, opera singers just singing for everyone hanging out til very late in the evenings.

No comments: