Wednesday, July 05, 2006

CHINA 2006 - iPod labor, Cui Jian - China's rock legend, songs and thoughts
On father's day, before my trip, my partner Sandi bought me one of those new iPods that hold a ton of video and audio files. I packed in a bunch of podcasts about China, Mandarin, etc. in addition to about 2500 songs.
I also realize that companies like Apple are reaping tremendous profits from factories in China which produce the little machines from the labor of workers in China who are usually pulled from rural areas to work in new urban economic zones opened up by China's rush to modernization and the WTO/World Bank/and TNC's efforts to open up 'free' markets in China. The iPods in China cost as much as they do here which means that only a tiny sliver of the people there can actually purchase them.
Songs - Cui Jian to Bob Dylan and UB40
Besides my Cui Jian Chinese rock and roll and other songs from a changing China, I listened to one of my iPod playlists which I also burned on a CD to give to my hosts.
Cui is the Bob Dylan of Chinese Rock. Banned for 13 years after the Tiananmen Square massacre, his 80's anthem "Nothing to My Name" is still an inspiration to me.
I am giving you my aspirations
And my freedom too.
But you always
laugh at me
Because I have nothing

Some of the songs I brought to China included -
Crystal Blue Persuasion - Tommy James
America - Patti Labelle/Natalie Cole/Sheila E version of West Side Story Classic
Sing Our Own Song - UB40
Love and Hope - Ozomatli
Maria Maria - Santana
Someday We'll All Be Free - Donny Hathaway
Dancing in the Street - Martha Reeves
Place in the Sun - Stevie Wonder
Don't Worry Baby - Beach Boys
I Shall Be Released - Dylan and The Band
Ahi Wela/Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Israel Kamaka-Wiwo'ole
Better Things - The Kinks
Ballad of the Sun and the Moon - Alexandro Escovedo
What a Wonderful World - Keb Mo
America - Simon and Garfunkel
This Land is Your Land - Woodie Guthrie
Why? [the king of love is dead] - Nina Simone
Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing - Melba Moore
I Left My Heart in San Francisco - Tony Bennett
-------------
TOMMY JAMES AND THE SHONDELLS lyrics - "Crystal Blue Persuasion" [1969]
Look over yonder what do you see The sun is a-risin' most definitely A new day is comin' people are changin' Ain't it beautiful crystal blue persuasion… Maybe tomorrow when He looks down Every green field and every town All of his children every nation There'll be peace and good brotherhood Crystal blue persuasion
Sing Our Own Song - UB40 [2000]
The great flood of tears that we`ve cried For our brothers and sisters who`ve died Over four hundred years Has washed away our fears And strengthened our pride Now we turn back the tide

We will no longer hear your command We will sieze the control from your hand
We will fan the flame Of our anger and pain And you`ll feel the shame For what you do in gods name

We will fight for the right to be free
We will build our own society
And we will sing, we will sing
We will sing our own song


When the ancient drum rythms ring The voice of our forefathers sings Forward
Africa run Our day of freedom has come For me and for you Amandla Awethu!
I shall be released - Bob Dylan and the Band [from the Last Waltz]

They say ev'rything can be replaced, Yet ev'ry distance is not near. So I remember
ev'ry face Of ev'ry man who put me here. I see my light come shining From the west unto the east. Any day now, any day now, I shall be released.
Love And Hope – Ozomatli [2004 - Street Signs]

A child looks up into my eyes, nothing to say. An open hand with scars can hide the pain away. What I can give is not enough to help him grow. How can I fulfill his needs, embrace his soul?

The hope deep in his eyes are dreams he must let fly! So sing this song with me. this hopeful melody.

Chorus: Just raise your head up and stand up, no fear in your eyes.
Tell me love and hope never die. So raise your head up and stand up, no reason to cry. 'Cause your heart and soul will survive.


The child struggled to survive. Now he's a man. With children of his own, he does the best one can. He tries to live with love and not let sorrow grow, even though he barely reaps all that he sows.

The hope deep in his eyes are dreams he must let fly! So sing this song with me.
This hopeful melody.
[Chorus]

No comments: